Thursday, October 23, 2014

Agile Customer Rights & Responsibilities

When we start working with stakeholders who are new to an Agile process, there's often a big mismatch in expectations. One of my clients (thanks Aaron!) suggested we create a Customer Bill of Rights. What do you think of this? I'll update this post as I learn from responses below.

Rights & Responsibilities
As an Agile Customer, I have the right to:
  • Get what I want when I want it
IFF I've answered questions about the request, helped decompose it into actionable chunks, prioritized those chunks, explained why we want it, accounted fro IT-supplied estimates, remain open to negotiation on scope, and have verified that external dependencies have been met.
  • Change my mind, and/or clarify intent, and/or insist defects are fixed
 IFF I review work-in-progress regularly and give feedback (at demos, some stand-ups).

  • Decide if something is DONE
IFF I review the team's work that has met their definition of done and state that it's Accepted.

  • Receive high quality solutions
IFF Acceptance Criteria and examples are defined.

  • Predictable & reliable delivery (accurate estimates)
IFF I co-create a roadmap and share my vision.

  • Mitigate Risks early
IFF we create spike cards.

  • See progress demonstrated in a way I understand, with words I use 
IFF I teach the teams about the business.

No comments: